I suggest you ...

Auto-sync with Google Contacts

Pulling contact directly from the phone through the mightytext app is slow and obnoxious to have to keep refreshing the web-session side of the app to populate all of them. Pulling contact info from the linked google account would be more ideal, not from the phone over data/wifi. Other variants of remote-web texting (Desksms) do this instantly at log-in.

697 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
stevey500 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I first installed MightyText, contacts from the phone seemed to sync to the mightytext.net/app website. Then, next day, sync stopped working and Contacts on the website were blank, even though the "People" app on the phone showed a long list. Note I store contents on outlook.com, and Exchange at work, not Google. I was able to get Contacts to show on the website again by going into the People app, Contacts to display, Customize, and checking the "All Contacts" box under each account that my contacts are stored in. After that, a Refresh Contact Names from Phone click on the website brought my contacts back over.

• dereklau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if this is a technical limitation of some sort. It really doesn't make sense to pull contact info from the phone when that info is readily available thru google's contact apis

• homobiles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to have the option to "Refresh Contact Names from Google" added on the settings page! Leave the option to refresh from phone for the people who want that, but please DO add the refresh from Google option!

• massey.lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree - this seems like an obvious functionality gap. Mighty text is a great app and just misses a couple of things to make it 100%. (I think the recent photo upload facility although useful is covered by other products and MightyText should stick to it's core role.
    I would be very happy if my contacts sync'd directly with Google and then I could Dial any number from my contacts from the web app.

• mfranzmeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of syncing with Google Contacts, especially for those of us that have hundreds of the exact same contacts in Google and our phone. Like jeppeladefoged commented, however, it appears there is a need to provide a couple of options.

My suggestion is to not only auto-sync with Google contacts, but allow us to choose which contacts to sync by "group". I have all of my contacts separated into groups on my phone (which duplicates in Google Contacts automatically). However, there are only select contacts that I can or want to be able to text with. Providing an option to choose which groups to add to MightyText would allow MightyText to not only load contacts faster, but would mean fewer contacts to search through to find the one I want to text with.

• jeppeladefoged commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was really happy when MightyText started pulling the contacts from the phone. I have my private contacts on my Google account but my work related contacts are on the MS Exchange server at my workplace. My phone syncs my work contacts and through the phone they also appear on MightyText. Pls. keep syncing contacts from the phone...maybe as an option. Thank you for a great service.

• Bruce Baratz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 2700 contacts and each time I choose contacts, the web page freezes.
    If it came from the web instead of the phone, I presume it would be faster and everything would be downloaded?

• Nathan Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmm, my contacts (~1,200) didn't show up at first. Although, did a couple refreshes of the app and they all showed up no prob. Few minutes later came all the photos.

• richyandrews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had no end of problems and time lost trying to get my Contacts to show up in Mighty text.I tried various settings thinking that something was wrong only to realize by accident that Mighty Text was just taking ages to sync with my phone..
    If phone capacity is the cause of the problem then link to and refresh from Google Contact on the computer; which is where my phone Contacts came from in the first place,

Feedback and Knowledge Base