I suggest you ...

Utilize new notification API in Android 4.3

Android 4.3's new Notification APIs allows any app to register with the notification server for management. If this is utilized by the MightyText host app on Android phones, it could register for notification management and dismiss SMS notifications when they are read remotely.

This, of course, means no more annoying blinking LEDs and backlogged notifications when you've been away and using MightyText. Moreover, it should be a simply addition since it is a fully supported API.

I'll just leave this here:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/service/notification/NotificationListenerService.html

1,989 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    matt.seaboldmatt.seabold shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Geoff, If I understand notifications sync, this will push all phone notifications to chrome right? That's not really what I'm looking for, I just want to automatically mark messages on my phone as read when I read them in the browser.

• Geoff HackettGeoff Hackett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't this already being used in MightyText with Notifications Sync? Shouldn't this be marked completed?

• greg.augreg.au commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wasted a vote on this one in the vain hope it gets sorted - I would have thought 1,750+ votes would have been enough to get the feature request some higher priority...

Hopefully the unread/read status of a message can get sync back to devices once viewed in MT. Ideally MT would also clear the unread status in the phone's SMS app too (or am I moving the goalposts with that idea?).

At the very least anyway MT needs clear the notifications on secondary devices (e.g. tablet at home) that end up with a ridiculous backlog of notifications after a busy day at work. I've heard devs state they can't reach out and rescind notifications once they are sent to the Android OS, but I think there are other ways to resolve that (e.g. a tweak to the notification itself, I thought). Matt seems to have some suggestions...

Fingers crossed it gets done soon.

@Noel: good workaround, I might try that setup out since I'm already running both pushbullet and mightytext side by side

• NoelNoel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 votes for this to be implemented. My current workaround is to enable notifications via Pushbullet and disable popups with MightyText. Thus when a text comes in I click on the Pushbullet notification and can quickreply from there; it clears the notification on my phone afterwards. I only use MightyText if I need to backread a conversation thread or compose a new SMS.

Maybe if we hit 2000 votes? Honestly at this point it seems like pushbullet will implement texting and grab a lot of mightytext users before this gets fixed.

• lander.notermanlander.noterman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this will ever be implemented (and it should, MightyText). Please don't forget to add support for third party sms-apps (like Textra).
        Also, I honestly don't know why this still isn't a feature? It's the single thing this app is missing! We don't want to share pictures with MightyText, we have enough services for that already! We want a good way to send and receive sms messages on a pc (and tablet). Period. Dismissing the notifications on the device would make MightyText perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're doing a great job, but you guys need to get your priorities straight. Texting is what this app is for and I think that should deserve the most of your attention.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Motorola Connect application cleared the phone's notifications when read on the computer so it 100% can be done, I only switched to MightyText a few days ago because I was having trouble logging into the Motorola Connect - overall features are better with MightyText however the lack of clearing notifications is a definite downgrade...

• Steve ZSteve Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make the app a lot better. I still have to go to my phone and dismiss texts if I want it to stop blinking, or have to mark them as read so they don't show up as unread in my sms app...

• jpmanchesterjpmanchester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running Pushbullet along side MT just so I can dismiss the notification from the Pushbullet popup and read/reply from the MT popup lol. I wouldn't think this should be hard to implement into MT and needs to be done stat. It's literally the only feature I wish MT had.

• rich.heimlichrich.heimlich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen. It's been talked about for years and it's a no-brainer, obvious feature. Why has this not happened yet?

• timtim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need "Missed It!" to be my notification listener. Can there be multiple notification listeners?

• david.m.freemandavid.m.freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everything, was looking for a way to do this. I have just started using mighty text but now find it invaluable, when I am at work and cannot have my phone, but then clearing out each individual thread is annoying. +1 for this idea

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base