I suggest you ...

Mightytext as a protocol (API)

I've already posted this in various comments on other ideas, but I thought it would be better to consolidate it in one topic that can get voted on.

I've seen several requests to add integration of other protocols into Mightytext. I don't believe that is the right approach for future development. MightyText has a great potential as a protocol for SMS encapsulation. Here are my thoughts on it.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of Mightytext to connect with all other protocols. That would take too much of the developers time and effort only to replicate solutions that are already out there for such integration (ebuddy, IM+, ichat, empathy, pidgin, adium, ..etc) However, it would be a great advantage to Mightytext if they focus their efforts on solidifying the backend and publishing an API for other developers to adopt in their respective projects. Currently, there is no IM application (that I know of) that can send SMS to your contacts using YOUR phone number. There are currently apps that send SMS but they generate random source numbers which confuses the receiver on the other end. The use of your own personal already known phone number is a great advantage that Mightytext has over using the many other SMS solutions out that. The developers should not lose sight of their unique selling point and should focus on seizing the opportunity while it's still untouched. IMHO that's the niche market Mightytext would excel at.

I'm sure open source projects would rise to the task. Since today there are multitudes of ways for people to communicate, Mightytext could eventually become THR encapsulation/protocol for SMS messaging in already popular IM applications (Pidgin, empathy, adium,... etc)

As I type this I'm visualizing he great potential of growth if such an API would be released.

Summry:
Don't recreate solutions that already existant. Leave integration to IM apps developers. Develop the Mightytext protocol as an encapsulation of SMS messaging and publish an API. That's the route of greatest success.

Ali

1,002 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ali.alsaifali.alsaif shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Antonio J OlanderAntonio J Olander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to have this feature!!! Is there any way currently to tie this into my web application depending on alert to send a text?

• Cris70Cris70 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too think you should publish an API, mainly because others do it and, for this reason, are becoming more convenient than MightyText.
        I love MightyText but others (e.g. PushBullet www.pushbullet.com) are gaining speed because they have an API and so the community is developing clients for them. e.g. they have a Linux desktop client developed by the community.

• Gregory SheppardGregory Sheppard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 votes!

With a MightyText api, I would love to integrate the services with a Hangouts+Facebook messaging app. Seeing as Hangouts/Facebook/SMS are my main forms of communication, to have an API to work with to create that would be amazing.

• Jonathan TohJonathan Toh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can have a phone mainly for sending SMS and receiving SMS at a fixed location.

From my Computer/Server, I can automatically send a message informing my friends / customers about some information I require them to know. At a scheduled timing or not doesn't matter.

All we will need is a API to access our own account for management(Send/Receive Mainly)

It's not difficult to do, either you do it and i pay for it yearly or i will just make my own app. Don't take too long! :D

• Doug JohnsonDoug Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would personally spend time integrating this into libpurple (Thus enabling Pidgin and various other projects) if this were created.

• verb0zeverb0ze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 votes! This would be great, apps such as growlvoice can integrate with mighty text. I don't really like having to use chrome for messaging; growlvoice sits on the menubar, and shows notifications when new messages are received. no need to switch to another tab or open a new window to read the message, it is silently waiting for me in the menubar :) This is the one feature I'm really missing from google voice integration.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea. I currently use apksoft's 'SMS Gateway' from the Android Play Store to send SMS messages from desktop apps via the phone -- it uses a simple HTTP API and the SMS messages come from your phone number just like MightyText. It's very good but the drawback is that you have to configure your desktop apps with the IP address of your phone (to difficult for many users).

• mechatech84mechatech84 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea. I have two additions though:
        There should be a forum for discussing/sharing ideas for projects that use the API.
        There should be a place people can share their finished works. (Something searchable, and preferably not the forums)

Feedback and Knowledge Base