I suggest you ...

Allow message notifications to disappear automatically after a predetermined amount of time

I hate it that when I go away from my computer for a few hours and use my phone to send and receive texts I have to manually click each notification to close it. There should be a way to set an amount of time after which the notification should close. (At least minimally there should be a "dismiss all notifications" button or something.

293 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Avrohom Eliezer Friedman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • joe.niedzwiecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like i'm the minority but I like the notifications to stay up until closed. I've gone into settings and clicked "Popup Notification Auto-Close" and set it to never auto close but it seems when google switched to there own notifications they always go away after about 10 seconds. I actually want them to stay up until closed. Possible? Oh Chrome, macosx is what i'm on which is what it says should work for the settings.

• ehartwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ummm... couldn't we just input the time? If not, how about adding 2 hours (longish lunch), 12 hours (overnight)?

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm using the web app in firefox. Should I need to update anything?

• Admininfo (Admin, MightyText) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is LAUNCHED in the current web app. We currently auto-dismiss the notification for new texts after 30 seconds. Soon, we will let you decide how long to wait before dismissing.

• Cody Pitcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea, but i would add... If you are away from your computer, and you receive a text, and you reply, THEN (after replying) would the notification disappear.

• Owen Genzlinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i see that the notifications now disappear after a certain amount of time... it's a very short period. any way to set a custom timer for that?

• rockstartower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How has this not been added? It's a simple function that shouldn't have to be asked for, and it has been the top voted suggestion for weeks now. Do we have any time frame of when or if this is going to happen?

• chrisfarra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree.

I wish there were some way to disable the notifications when I'm texting back and forth from my phone. My wife was on the computer the other night in a professional setting when a guy sent me a text with an inappropriate word in the text content. This text popped up on her computer screen in a notification and we've both been rather embarrassed this occurred while she was working with others able to view her screen at the time in popped up.

Please clean this up!

• joshuahastings33 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably unnecessary to let you know I agree for the millionth same comment but maybe this will be the one that pushes you over the edge....I AGREE.

• quixilvr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two specific feature enhancement suggestions to solve this problem:
        1) Add a Notification Timeout setting that will specify whether to keep notifications indefinitely, or dismiss them after [User Specified] minutes.
        2) Put a Dismiss All link next to the x on the notification pop up window to dismiss all active notification windows.

• rockstartower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others have experienced, if you use this at work you also may not want others to be able to blatently see your personal texts popping on your screen, so having the notification disappear after a set amount of time and having the option to hide the content of the text in the notification (like the last version had) would be really nice. Either way it should definitely combine notifications and have a set time for them to disappear.

• nabistay2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. if i leave chrome up on my work computer when i go home, and then i come back and unlock my computer the next day, i have about 500 notifications to click through.

• cyatesxyz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, yes, absolutely. A timeout to dismiss would be welcomed. I come back to work after the weekend and after having locked my screen to find dozens of pop-ups. The easiest way to dismiss all is to close and reopen Chrome.

• nicholasjcoleman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea. I've come home and all the SMS messages from the day suddenly get thrown onto screen... have to click through dozens of messages sometimes!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base