I suggest you ...

Unread Count

I think it may be nice to have to ability to display unread count at the tab (similar to unread count for gmail)

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jimbotronn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Admininfo (Admin, MightyText) responded  · 

The question here is — what counts as “unread”. We’re storing a copy of texts from your phone, which may or may not be read depending on the notification of the SMS client you are using. Thoughts?

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • twzayan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think if you make a decision on what constitutes unread we will follow (assuming you explain it well hehe).

I think having this is worth the risk of people not liking what you deem count worthy.....

If you are still pulling a copy of our text messages, then my preference would be to count ones that have come in since I opened my session.

• Dougie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, am I missing something here? How can I quickly scan the message list to see which of my messages are new / unread? "Unread" typically means it hasn't been opened, right? So like the flag on the device, or even on other competitor apps like ZipWhip, it'd be nice to see that quickly... Currently my best bet is to open the power view and visibly determine which messages I have not responded to. MightyText is such a great app... Seems odd to be missing this feature!

• nick.germanakos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once you guys have read/unread synced between the browser and the phone it should display unread count period. Once I see it online it should also be marked read on the phone and vice versa. Gmail works this way, and it would be great if this worked like that as well.

• Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe every new message synced into mightytext would be considered unread until it has been viewed from within mightytext? Then it doesn't matter whether you're using the phone's native app, or a third-party app, and whether those consider the message to be read or not. That would at least give everyone consistent behavior no matter which app they're using.

That being said, ideally, *I* would like the read/unread status of messages to sync between mightytext and my phone, since I only use the native android texting app. So reading a message on my phone would mark it as read on here, too, and likewise, when/if you add the feature to mark a message as unread on here, I'd like the message on my phone to be marked as unread, too (assuming that's technically possible on android).

• Michael Katsimbris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I think Davide's got it. a "new" count for any message you get since you last checked in on that conversation (web). so, since clicking on the notifications brings you to that conversation, it will bring the count back to zero (as long as no other web conversations have gone unchecked/seen).

• mukarram1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@MightyText Team

Ideally, MightyText would be able to read and write the read/unread status of messages on the phone. That way, something that is read on the phone will be dismissed (marked as read) on MightyText and visa versa.

This does though bring up the issue of SMS clients; i.e. do multiple clients on the same phone register the read state differently? I know that, at least with SMS popup, I am able to mark a message (in the stock app) as read from the 3rd party notification without ever visiting the actual messaging app. If you could make MightyText do the same thing, that would be awesome. With that strategy, I assume you could read and write the notification and read state, at least for the stock app, and synchronize what is and isn't read between the phone and the web app

Feedback and Knowledge Base